Opting for the best microphone for your needs may not be an easy task as such. In fact, more difficult than choosing a receiver is the task of selecting a device that would power it up. Yes, we are talking about Microphone Preamps. The microphone preamps have stopped being what they were- instead of just powering up your microphone, they have now doubled up as better companions with additional features. We will list out the best preamps for recording vocals.
Best Preamps for Recording Vocals
Microphones preamps come with multiple functionalities. In fact, before listing out our select list of microphone preamps, we would love sharing a few insights into the factors you should go with if you want to have the best experience of your life.
The Buying Guide for Microphone Preamps
The Preamps are you would want to power up your microphone, but also control them as per your requirements. Why not go into a few features and possible inputs before you would move ahead to buy your favorite microphone preamps. In fact, the elements we have provided here are based on the assumption that you do not have enough information on audio interfaces.
The Number of Channels
That should be the most crucial factor to help you make a choice. Most of the microphones come with one channel configuration. One channel option would mean it can handle one mike at a time. Other options at your disposal would be 2, or 8 channel microphones. Your choice should be dependent upon how many mics you would be used simultaneously.
Money is an essential factor that would steer you in a particular direction while buying a preamp for your needs. Professional quality microphone preamps would typically be much expensive. Decide your exact needs before you opt for a specific preamp.
Inputs and Outputs
The ins and outs can also be a concern and a point to be taken care of. Have a plan before you go ahead with your intention of purchasing a microphone. Keeping the count high should be prime in your thoughts. You never know which additional requirements you may come across in future.
The popular microphone preamps come in three different models – tube type, solid state and hybrid type. The kind of preamps has a bearing on the sound output you would get. Tubes offer you a traditional mode of harmonious sound, while the solid-state models should provide you digital like crystal clear sound.
Best Preamps For Recording Vocals
Having gone through the best practices for choosing an excellent Microphone preamp, you should now be more confident in selecting the best option for them. We are featuring the list of a select few preamps that you can buy for recording vocals.
BehringerUltragain PRO MIC2200
Price – $99.99
The budget-friendly microphone preamp should be your best option. In fact, Behringer is a name to reckon with when it comes to the budget preamps.
The preamp comes with its design that is quite excellent concerning minimizing the noise effects. Some of the best features that would make it a great option can be
- It offers you a musical, harmonious and decent-quality sound
- The design has conjugate transistor paired circuits and very-wide bandwidth.
- You are ensured of a full bandwidth range of 10 to 200 Hz that would produce various and open sound quality.
- You have access to a line driver that can be independently controlled to cover from -10 dBV up to +4 dBU level.
So, in case if you are looking for a boost in your recordings and performances, this is it!
Solid State Logic Alpha VHD
Price – $1,899.00
Solid State is a firm well known for their ultra high mixing consoles. The high-end modern design coupled with the excellent functionality that should make them the best in class preamps.
The device is best when it comes to the functionality, but it does appear to go with an expensive price tag. Go for it only if you indeed need the features that it offers you.
Some salient features would be –
- The preamp offers you a four channel functionality.
- The four independent variable harmonic drive systems should make it one of its kind among the similar options
- The hi-Z switches, phantom 48V power, and 20 dB pad are a few features that would indeed justify the pricing.
- All the channels are LED illuminated.
- The preamp should work best for studio use, live performance or broadcasting
The preamp allows you have a sharper control over each of the channels.
Interested? Check them out here.
Grace Design m101
Price – $765.00
If single channel preamp is what you have been trying to check out, Grace Design m101 should meet your needs efficiently. In spite of being a single-channel performer, it also offers you an excellent power and sound quality.
It also comes with a trans-impedance topology of circuits that offer you a reliable performance without the transformers. The following features should make it a bright choice in its own right –
- Minimised background sound
- The preamp gives you a sound gain that ranges from 10 dB to 75dB
- The preamp offers you unique universal switch off, which will take an extensive range of voltages from 100 to 240V.
- All the switches come with LED lights. The preamp also comes with aa HPF switch and 48V phantom power.
The Microphone preamp can be the best for studio and live performances thanks to the near professional level of quality it offers you.
The Preamp is available on Amazon.
ART Pro MPA II
Price – $299.00
ART Pro MPA II is one of the best when it comes to the quality microphone preamps that you can go with. The solid-model is designed to meet the exemplary standards that the users have always looked ahead to.
The dual channel preamp boasts of excellent build quality. The preamp is quite affordable for the other dual-channel preamp devices. Some of the outstanding features that would make it an attractive option can be summarised as
- A 48-volt phantom engine powers the tube model.
- ART Pro MPA II offers you big VU meters and impedance with selectable input
- The preamp supports stereo and dual mono support.
- The variable impedance ranging between ranging from 150 to 2400 Ohms
- It comes with a low-cut filter for each channel that can be quite helpful in addressing the background noise.
The microphone preamps come with color LEDs for the front and thus offers you practical visibility for the controls.
If you are interested, you may buy it on Amazon.
Price – $499.99
We added this microphone preamp for a major reason – it is the most affordable eight-channel microphone preamp that you can ever lay your hands on. If you are trying to find the best digitally enhanced microphone preamps, this is the right choice for you.
The FocusriteOctoPreMkII combines multiple channel functionality with the affordability. Some of the factors that would make it an excellent option can be summarised as –
- The preamp comes with eight pre-amplification channels and inbuilt ADAT output with 24-bit and 96 kHz power
- It lets you choose multiple sound quality with different settings. This would make it best suited for any environment – be if the studio, live performance, broadcasting and seminars to just name a few.
- You have access to a frequency range of between 20 Hz – 20 kHz
- The build is excellent with the easy-to-use rotary knobs on the front
- Mic preamps are optimized for tracking drums
Focusrite is a brand you can trust, thanks to the years of quality products that it has been serving us with.
Think you should give it a thought? You may find it on Amazon.
So, that would conclude our select list of best Microphone Preamps. Which one did you think would best suit your requirements? Most of the preamps we have covered in our listing come with a multifaceted functionality, making them suitable for all kinds of conditions that you may have.
We would advise you to exercise caution while you choose your microphone preamps for your needs. Just because a preamp has a better design and boasts of excellent features – buying it out may not be feasible as you do not need a host of features. Do share your thoughts with us so that we can refine our updates and offer better functionality.
Do share your thoughts if you have used any of them. You may also share your thoughts on any other devices we have not featured here if you find them more powerful.